Snort mailing list archives

Re: lex is insufficient? (daq 0.6.2)

From: Michael Altizer <maltizer () sourcefire com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:08:10 -0500

On 12/16/2011 09:36 AM, tgiles () echoforest org wrote:
tom
Check the bit that should be right above it in config.log to see what
it's failing to do when checking for flex and bison.
Hi, Michael.

Nothing actionable I noticed. I've put the full config.log on pastebin here: http://pastebin.com/uEJtuZFc but here
are the immediate 5 or so lines before the error.

The only other error I noted in the config.log was for "conftest.c:11:28: error: ac_nonexistent.h: No such file or
directory". But, since the name of the file is "nonexistent", I ignored the message.

Thanks for any input you might have!

tom

configure:11322: gcc -c -g -O2 -fvisibility=hidden -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wsign-compare -Wcast-align -Wextra -Wformat
-Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -fno-strict-aliasing -fdiagnostics-show-option -pedantic -Werror  -pedantic
-std=c99 -D_GNU_SOURCE  conftest.c>&5
configure:11322: $? = 0
configure:11337: result: -pedantic -std=c99 -D_GNU_SOURCE
configure:11350: : CFLAGS="$CFLAGS $var"
configure:11353: $? = 0
configure:11372: checking for getaddrinfo
configure:11372: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -fvisibility=hidden -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wsign-compare -Wcast-align -Wextra
-Wformat -Wformat-security -Wno-unused-parameter -fno-strict-aliasing -fdiagnostics-show-option -pedantic -std=c99
-D_GNU_SOURCE   conftest.c>&5
configure:11372: $? = 0
configure:11372: result: yes
configure:11538: checking for capable lex
configure:11549: result: insufficient
configure:11552: error: Your operating system's lex is insufficient to compile
          libsfbpf. You should install both bison and flex.
          flex is a lex replacement that has many advantages,
          including being able to compile libsfbpf.  For more
          information, see http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/flex.html .

## ---------------- ##
## Cache variables. ##
## ---------------- ##

Sorry, the test redirects its output to /dev/null when testing lex, but
I'm guessing you don't even have lex installed.  Please post the
config.log when you run it without the --without-flex and
--without-bison flags.  You should only see the above error if it could
not find both flex and bison on your system, in which case it resorts to
lex/yacc and does the test you see above (which is actually never going
to succeed and needs to be fixed; I guess you're the first person so far
to not use flex/bison).  You can check AC_LBL_LEX_AND_YACC in m4/sf.m4
to see what it is doing to check for the existence of flex/bison.

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011