Snort mailing list archives

broke snort. file_data_ports

From: Michael Scheidell <michael.scheidell () secnap com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 04:46:02 -0500

didn't we decide YEARS AGO, not to arbitrarily add $VAR' to VRT rules?
thank you for breaking this and waking me up at 4am

Dec 8 03:06:13 scanner2 snort[3457]: FATAL ERROR: /etc/snort/rules/web-client.rules(142) ***PortVar Lookup failed on '$FILE_DATA_PORTS'.

oh, and its NOT in the distributed snort.conf file.
pwd
/usr/local/etc/snort
scanner2.hackertrap.net# grep FILE_DATA_PORTS *

no, i did NOT enable, as you see, these are in web-client.rules

|file-identify.rules|

yes, your block says to add this. p|ortvar FILE_DATA_PORTS [$HTTP_PORTS,110,143]

but, you should have left the mucked up rules in file-identify.rules, NOT put them into otherwise active rules. or, find some way to have a default, in the .rules, like first line would be:

portvar FILE_DATA_PORTS? ||[$HTTP_PORTS,110,143]

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
>*| *SECNAP Network Security Corporation