Snort mailing list archives

Re: GRE Rule

From: PS <packetstack () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 17:31:51 -0500

This was taken from the 2.9 manual

"3.2.2 Protocols

The next field in a rule is the protocol. There are four protocols that Snort currently analyzes for suspicious
behavior – TCP, UDP, ICMP, and IP. In the future there may be more, such as ARP, IGRP, GRE, OSPF, RIP, IPX, etc. "

But I do see online where it says that snort does have a GRE decoder and that it has to be enabled when compiling.

I'm not sure what the difference is.