Snort mailing list archives

Re: New Rules Heads Up

From: "Lay, James" <james.lay () wincofoods com>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 15:11:29 -0600

Hey all,

How does one go about staying informed about new Source Fire rules that add additional variables BEFORE they are added
to the rule set.

For example it seems a variable "$FILE_DATA_PORTS" was introduced last night that bombed out my snort. Just wondering
if there is a way I can get proactive on this. And turn them off in pulled pork BEFORE it kills my IDS in the middle of
the night.

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET $FILE_DATA_PORTS -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"FILE-IDENTIFY Real Media file magic detection";
flow:to_client,established; file_data; content:".RMF"; within:4; fast_pattern;
flowbits:set,http.realplayer,fileidentify; flowbits:noalert; classtype:misc-activity; sid:20456; rev:2;)

GIBBY

Gibby,

Not sure of your setup, but I can tell you that I have my rules downloaded about 10 minutes into my work day...so I can
monitor my logs.  Also, again, not sure of your setup, I've found a log monitor capable of emailing when...say the word
FATAL is seen to send you an email.  Nothing worse than the "ugh..my IDS hasn't been running since midnight" feeling
when you come into work.

James