Snort mailing list archives

Re: [snorby] VRT/ET/Local rule look-ups by assigned sid range. (#138)

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 11:22:06 -0400

We'll take a look Will, thanks.  We're in the middle of a big change right now, so I'll take a look.

On Nov 1, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Will Metcalf wrote:

Would it be possible to update the sid entry of the snort manual to
reflect the existence of ET? For all practical purposes sids in the
range of  2000000 - 3000000 should not be assigned to local rules, as
this is the range used by ET. Even if people are dedicated VRT users,
they may decided to cherry pick from the ET set every now and again,
and dealing with sid overlaps sucks.   I realize that ET/VRT doesn't
always see eye-to-eye but with 4 billion or so possible rule-id's
whats the harm? I think this will just save a ton of confusion.
Wasn't there supposed to be some like official body that was going to
dole out sid-ranges or something a long time ago?

http://manual.snort.org/node30.html#keyword_sid

Regards,

Will