Snort mailing list archives

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 / 10 rulesset

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 12:12:50 -0400

On Oct 31, 2011, at 11:44 AM, Mike Lococo wrote:
On 10/31/2011 09:42 AM, Marcin Nawrocki wrote:
Do I have to compile / create my own snort rules for the recent
versions of ubuntu or can I use the delivered rules for the
LTS-version? If I have to do it by myself, how to do this manually?

I recently filed an Ubuntu bug regarding exactly this issue:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/snort/+bug/872582

In short, the version of Snort provided with Ubuntu is no longer
supported by Sourcefire and will not run recent VRT rules.  There is
nothing you can do to make it do so.  You can run whatever is in the
snort-rules package, but I don't believe that the sigs in that package
can't have been updated for at least a year.  It's more likely that
those are the sigs that were released with 2.8.5.2 in December of 2009,
and consequently would be missing detection for any threat that has
evolved or emerged since then (aka, almost everything that matters).

Actually, more incorrectly, the rules distributed WITH ubuntu are the GPL'ed ones.  SID 3464 and below.  So, very old.

As an alternate, you can custom install pulledpork and use it to
download the Emerging-Threats Open ruleset which does still support the
2.8.5.x series.  That's a quality ruleset in my opinion and you could do
worse than to use it, but you can't run the VRT rules.

You can run the VRT rules, but we are adding keywords all the time that will break compatibility, and 2.8.5.2 can't use
any of the newer features of the ruleset.  There's a reason we update Snort and add better detection and magical
keywords like "file_data".  I really which ET would stop "supporting" that far back.  It's like enabling a drug addict
to not quit.  It hurts more than helps.

Another alternative is installing current snort from Source, which is
what most serious Snort users do.  There are guides out there on how to
do so, but it is many many times more work than apt-get install.

Yes! That.