Snort mailing list archives

Re: Fine tuning portscan

From: "Lay, James" <james.lay () wincofoods com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:42:37 -0600

From: JJC [mailto:cummingsj () gmail com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 11:01 AM
To: Lay, James
Cc: snort-users () lists sourceforge net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Fine tuning portscan

If you already see this in your firewall, what is the benefit of seeing in snort?  To me it's just added noise to sift
through when looking for actual actionable events / intel...

JJC

Yea...I'm hoping to correlate these a little better than using the logs.  As an added bonus, I hope to be to match up
portscan alerts, with actual hack attempts :)

And thanks Joel..I'll give that a shot.

James