Snort mailing list archives

sid:19559 BAD-TRAFFIC SSH brute force login attempt False Positive

From: Thibaut PIRONNEAU <thibaut.pironneau () clermont-universite fr>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:10:21 +0200

Hello,
First sorry for my poor english.
Then, I use snort 2.9.1 since a while and I have a question about rule
number 19559 : BAD-TRAFFIC SSH brute force login attempt
I think this rule generate many false positive, and I can prove it :
I my company, we have a huge information system with many servers and
ssh servers, which are open to wan (behind a firewall)... I have ssh
brute force alert on this servers... But I filter ssh by IP on each
machine. At home or by using other external ADSL connection, I'm not
able to connect on my ssh server...

I think there are problems with the rules redaction :
alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET 22 (msg:"BAD-TRAFFIC SSH brute
force login attempt"; flow:to_server,established; content:"SSH-";
depth:4; detection_filter:track by_src, count 5, seconds 60;
classtype:misc-activity; sid:19559; rev:1;)

I think, if I use ssh with scp with a huge file for example, this rules
catch an alert... Is there not an indication of login in the IP packet
during the connection phase?

Thanks for your patience and for your help.

Best Regards.
--
Thibaut PIRONNEAU