Snort mailing list archives

Logging: alert vs drop with PulledPork using VRT & ET rules

From: NA <dustypath () comcast net>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 08:56:31 -0700

Hi all,

I use both VRT and ET-no gpl rule sets and update via PulledPork. Snort
2.9.10 is running in afpacket mode and inline.
Per the conf file for PulledPork and what I assume is the incompatible
option (with ET) to set a policy of balanced or security, I use no policy.
I see in a few rules that with a policy set the rule will both alert and
drop.
When I use dropsid.conf to change a rule from alert to drop, I get no
more alerts, and therefore do not see the traffic.
Am I correct in thinking there is no way to get alerts on dropped sids
with this configuration? (Other than using iptables via NFQ daq to log
them elsewhere).
Should I just stop using the ET rules and set a policy?
thanks,
Bill B