Snort mailing list archives

missing pcaps for alerts

From: John Ives <jives () security berkeley edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 16:24:14 -0700

Recently, after upgrading to 2.9.1.1 (from 2.9.1.0) on several FreeBSD
sensors, I noticed that only some of the alerts are logging the pcap
output from the alerts that it is putting in the local logs and
sending via syslog.

At first I noticed it in several Emerging Threats alerts, but today I
also found that some of the VRT rules are also missing the
corresponding pcaps.

The rules that are consistently missing pcaps for are:

Emerging Threats Rules:
2011146
2011588
2011894
2012299
2012491
2012609
2012612
2012616
2012799
2012801
2012893
2013076
2013093
2013094
2013202
2013372
2013387
2013508
2013520
2013651
2013666
2013686

VRT Rules:
10196
10197
16008

Snort information:
Installed from FreeBSD ports with support for IPV6, GRE,
DECODERPRE,ZLIB, PERFPROFILE
OS: FreeBSD 8.1 64bit

The missing packets are not intermittent, but consistent since the
upgrade.

Thank you,

John

- --
John Ives
System & Network Security                           Phone (510) 229-8676
University of California, Berkeley