Snort mailing list archives

Re: Odd Byte Tests in BLACKLIST DNS request for known malware domain rules

From: Christopher Granger <chrisgrangerx () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 02:32:40 -0400

Hi VRT,

I noticed that the somewhat counter-intuitive way byte_test works with
bitwise operators doesn't appear to be documented in the Users Manual. I did
find it in the referenced Snort webcast document (
http://www.snort.org/assets/174/SnortUsersWebcast-Rules_pt2.pdf), and it
accounts for the equivalence of the two kinds of byte_tests in the BLACKLIST
known malware domain rules: "On any byte_test, a non-zero response is a
success"

Could this please be added for inclusion in a future copy of the manual?

Thank you,
-Chris

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:51 PM, Christopher Granger <