Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is it dangerous to tweak http_inspect defaults

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 12:55:58 -0400

What we call our "current" snort.conf is the .conf that is shipped in the VRT rules download tarball in the etc/
directory.  It contains our current configuration that we test and write our rules against and also what we expect
environments, for the most part, be configured like.    This Snort.conf is synced before "release" of a Snort version
(so the version that is shipped in Snort 2.9.1.1's etc/ directory is the configuration that was current at that time.

When the configuration changes I post them on http://blog.snort.org.

All Snort configurations require tuning for their environment (memory, rules enabled, locations, var's, etc), however
the detection options should be enabled in order to provide full coverage and utilize the full features of Snort.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT