Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-Users] help me about snortsp 3.0.b3

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () me com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:49:31 -0400

Well --

Let me clarify a few things since there's obviously confusion.

SnortSP is a platform in order to run detection engines (Snort being one) inside of.  The current beta that is
available is pretty old.  However, it's development is not dead.  We just have nothing to release at this time.

2.9.1.1 is the current Snort version available for download at http://www.snort.org.  I encourage it's use.  In other
news we should be releasing a beta of the next version of Snort with some pretty revolutionary features soon.

Razorback, a VRT development effort, is not an IDS as Kevin seems to be confused about below.  Snort, as an IDS can
feed Razorback.  Snort is but one part of Razorback, as is ClamAV.  Razorback is a very elegant and revolutionary way
to tie many tools together in a coherent and easy-to-understand fashion.    I was complimenting one of the developers
of Razorback yesterday, in that I was taking a look at some of the current builds of it and was blown away.  I was
thinking back to the days when I was an analyst poking away at my customer's networks trying to figure out what was
going on, and Razorback is the first product I've seen in the 13-14 years I've been in security, that really makes a
difference.  It's a framework, many pieces can feed it, and I think we've only begun to scratch the surface of what it
can do.

--
Joel Esler
Senior Research Engineer, VRT