Snort mailing list archives

Re: PCRE Performance

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 12:17:21 -0400

On 10/10/2011 09:10, vincent () ragosta net wrote:
Hello all,

I wish to create a Snort signature to match a particular URI sequence. But, the
latter part of the URI can vary. I have been told by others that the use of PCRE
in Snort rules should be avoided at all costs due to the performance penalties
of its use.​ Is this true? If so, is it possible to logically "OR" the content
keyword to look for 1 of many possible, valid, URI sequences?

why is a PCRE needed? you cannot use just the non-changing portion of the URL?
maybe i'm misunderstanding and it is not the whole "first part" that is the same?