Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-Sigs] 19213 thousands of FP

From: Alex Kirk <akirk () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 11:29:49 -0400

I believe that the logic revolved around the mistaken assumption that "?Q?"
was actually rare in subject lines. If at all possible, we'd love to get
some sample packet captures (full-stream if possible) with this character
appearing in a legitimate subject line, so we can add it to our test suite
to ensure we don't end up with further false positives like this in the
future.

That said, the rule now has an appropriate length check; the update will be
released in the next SEU. The PCRE stays, however, to ensure that everything
actually appears on a single line.