Snort mailing list archives

Reputation clarification

From: "Lay, James" <james.lay () wincofoods com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 10:04:18 -0600

Hey all!

So…I’m doing my upgrade to 2.9.1….very excited.  A (possibly idiotic ;)) question I have on the Reputation
preprocessor…this is really just an IP based black/whitelist yes?  If so, what would be the difference for
“whitelisting” via startup command verses using the whitelist, say with:

snort –c snort.conf ip and not host bleh

Also, if I’m reading the below right, does this mean that EVERY time a packet goes to google.com I’ll get an alert?
Thanks all.

James

From the manual:
Use case
A user wants to protect his/her network from unwanted/unknown IPs, only allowing some trusted IPs. Here is
the configuration:

preprocessor reputation: \
blacklist /etc/snort/default.blacklist
whitelist /etc/snort/default.whitelist
In file "default.blacklist"
# These two entries will match all ipv4 addresses
1.0.0.0/1
128.0.0.0/1

In file "default.whitelist"
68.177.102.22 # sourcefire.com
74.125.93.104 # google.com

Reputation preprocessor uses GID 136 to register events.
SID Description
1 Packet is blacklisted.
2 Packet is whitelisted.