Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.9.0.x Performance hit in inline mode with NFQ

From: Ville Vak <ville_vak () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:22:10 +0000

I am trying to configure Snort2.9.0.5/NFQUEUE in my setup with inline mode and NFQUEUE.  The network throughput seems
to drastically drop with the setup. While analyzing the cause, I read that NFQUEUE itselfs contribute to the major
performance hit, besides the expected overhead of pattern matching. Even if we suppress the rules
matching/preprocessors in snort, the unacceptable performance hit is observed.

Given below is how I configure the NFQUEUE to send the packets to Snort.

iptables -I FORWARD -j NFQUEUE

and

config daq: nfq
config daq_dir: /usr/lib/daq/
config daq_mode: inline

Tuning the queue_len and Snort snaplen doesn't help much.

Any cues on tuning the NFQUEUE performance.

-Ville