Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort web interface

From: Martin Holste <mcholste () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 20:41:38 -0500

I agree with Jason:  BASE is dead and clunky, and not all that easy to
install.  If you are looking for a dead simple install with no traffic
integration, then I suggest having Snort (or barnyard) output to
syslog and send it to a personal version of Splunk, which is free.
You can get that up and running in about five minutes.  However,
Snorby is superior and worth putting a few more (but not too many
more) minutes of time because you get the packet integration.  In my
opinion, unless you have access to the traffic you are inspecting with
your IDS in some sort of raw form, you are operating a crippled
installation and have no way to make informed decisions about good or
bad events on the network.

I will also mention that Snorby integrates with my
StreamDB.googlecode.com project which is OpenFPC compatible, but
several orders of magnitude faster than OpenFPC.  So my recommendation
would be to use Snorby with StreamDB.  Sguil is rock solid, but pcap
retrieval is just too slow for my taste, and so that precludes running
Squert.