Snort mailing list archives

Re: What is the difference in using IPVAR and VAR ?

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () winsnort com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 17:38:30 -0400

Windows 7 is ipv6 and ipv4 enabled on install, and XP is only ipv4. I was
looking at using the same snort.conf between the two installs.

If I have ipv6 and ipv4  enabled, then I would need to compile Snort with
ipv6 and use ipvar?

If I have ipv4 installed I could still use ipvar as long as I have Snort
compiled for ipv6, even though ipv6 was not installed on the box?

It's a little confusing because if I use:

ipvar RULE_PATH d:\winids\snort\rules

I get an error and have to go back to:

var RULE_PATH d:\winids\snort\rules

Kindest regards,