Snort mailing list archives

SnortSam Block on all snort/barnyard2 alerts by default

From: Robert Z <robrob2626 () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 14:21:16 -0700 (PDT)

Is there a way to block all snort/barnyard2 alerts by default with snortsam plugin patch.

If not how hard would it be to add such a option to the snortsam patch ?

The reason I am asking is that managing "sid-block.map" file with over 21000 sids seems overly complex.

A good solution would be to;

1. add an option like so: "output alert_fwsam: 127.0.0.1:898/mypassword blockoption:src,15min"
    All snort/barnyard2 alerts would be blocked by default for 15 min by source.

2. If  "sid-block.map" is detected the default would be overridden by sid.

3. If rulefile.rules has a "fwsam: src, 5 minutes" option that would override deafult, sid-block.map.

4. If there is a override sid in snortsam.conf that would override the "sid-block.map" file, default and rulefile.rules
option.

The point of all this would be to minimize the amount of sid block times we would have to track on every rule database
update.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
Robert