Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort inline extremely slow packet forwarding

From: Hussein Bahaidarah <husseinb () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 00:30:55 +0300

Hi Michael,

I believe a an L2 loop will form. I have tested it and found that the switch (Cisco) disabled the port:

Jul 16 00:18:52: %ETHCNTR-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED: Loop-back detected on GigabitEthernet1/0/23.
Jul 16 00:18:52: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Gi1/0/23, putting Gi1/0/23 in err-disable state
Jul 16 00:18:53: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/23, changed state to down
Jul 16 00:18:54: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/23, changed state to down

Loopback error

A loopback error occurs when the keepalive packet is looped back to the port that sent the keepalive. The switch sends
keepalives out all the interfaces by default. A device can loop the packets back to the source interface, which usually
occurs because there is a logical loop in the network that the spanning tree has not blocked. The source interface
receives the keepalive packet that it sent out, and the switch disables the interface (errdisable). This message occurs
because the keepalive packet is looped back to the port that sent the keepalive:
%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: loopback error detected on Gi4/1, putting Gi4/1 in
err-disable state
Keepalives are sent on all interfaces by default in Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1EA-based software. In Cisco IOS
Software Release 12.2SE-based software and later, keepalives are not sent by default on fiber and uplink interfaces.
For more information, refer to Cisco bug ID CSCea46385  (registered customers only) .
The suggested workaround is to disable keepalives and upgrade to Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2SE or later.