Snort mailing list archives

Re: SnortSP: Writing an analyzer in Lua

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 13:39:37 -0400

Hi Tako,

I'm in meetings all day but I'll try to answer your question ASAP.

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 8:33 PM, Tako Chanz <tako_chanz () hotmail com> wrote:

 Hi all,

Maybe I'm double posting but I saw two dev mailing list and I really need
some guidance.

After studied the snort.lua and snort_funcs.lua, I'm still stuck on
how a packet passed to lua's callback function.

Is there any doc describing the params for the function: lua_analyzer
(buf, offset, proto, dport)?

It seems that the lua_analyzer is dealing packet above the IP layer.
Is it possible to inspect the link or network layer using Lua?

My goals:

- Using Lua to write an analyzer and inspect any layer(ether, IP, tcp/
udp).
- Drop packets base on some simple matching condition

I really need some directions or docs from you all.

Thanks in advance,
Tako