Snort mailing list archives

Re: Sourcefire VRT Rules and Snort Active Response

From: "Jason D. McCormick" <jasonmc () sei cmu edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 16:29:27 -0400

I am correct in my understanding that when executed this
way the Sourcefire VRT rulesets will not actively
response since Snort isn't operating in inline mode, yes?

Snort can still send active responses in IDS mode, so make
sure that this line or similar is commented out of your
snort.conf:

# config response: eth0 attempts 2.

Yes it is, and that's how it comes from Sourcefire in the VRT ruleset too.  I just wanted to make sure there wasn't
some other "default" value that made this still work with that line commented out (as opposed to set to 0 or
something).  Sounds like I'm good then?

- Jason