Snort mailing list archives

Re: Query about the performance

From: Jeff Murphy <jeff.murphy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 09:03:52 -0400

On Jun 9, 2011, at 3:59 AM, Gaurav Suryagandh wrote:

Basically with a fairly good quality of hardware ( 96GB RAM and couple
of multi-core processors)

will i be able to capture at line rate of 10Gbps with finite number of
rules around (64- spanning across, L2, L3 and application)?

My experience has been that you'll need around 24 cores, a controlled approach to the types and quantities of rules you
deploy, and an understanding of what type of traffic mix you expect. I'd prioritize in that order. Memory, while
important, is less of a factor than say cores or bus throughput.

jeff

Thanks,
Gaurav