Snort mailing list archives

Unified2 Record Order

From: firnsy <firnsy () securixlive com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2011 08:10:39 +1000

G'day Snort dev,

I need some clarification regarding the record order in unified2 files.

Is it possible to receive a Packet record (1) at a later stage in the
file that is associated with an earlier Event (A) record, which has a
number of unrelated Event (B,C, ...) and Packet (2, 3, ...) records in
between?

For example (hopefully it makes sense):

...A1111B2C3D44444441E5 ...

I have the feeling I've seen this before, and it was a packet from a
portscan even that occurred previously, but other events had occurred
(and had been written) in between. This was a long time ago though, and
I'm now kinda doubting if I saw it at all.

It seems entirely possible this can happen, particularly with portscan
events/packets, but I just want to make sure.

Regards,
firnsy