Snort mailing list archives

http_inspects post_depth

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 17:43:29 +0000

Kind of wondering about this from the 2.9.0.5 manual:

---SNIP---
11. post_depth <integer>
This specifies the amount of data to inspect in a client post message.
The value can be set from -1 to 65495. The default value is -1. A value
of -1 causes Snort to ignore all the data in the post message.
Inversely, a value of 0 causes Snort to inspect all the client post
message. This increases the performance by inspecting only specified
bytes in the post message.
---SNIP---

I'm trying to wrap my head around the wording of this. Does this
effectively mean 0 = 65495? Or does setting the value to 0 cause
inspection of all of it beyond the 65495 buffer range?

-- Eoin