Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort

From: Nick Moore <nmoore () sourcefire com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 07:16:43 -0500

Addetiloye,

If I understand your question correctly, you are having a compile error in
the ./configure process. In most of the similar cases I've seen with this,
it can often be a result of the file in question not being in your path or
not where the snort configure process expected to find it.

First, if you haven't already done so, make sure you've installed daq. If
you do a "find / -name daq* and get lots of results in /usr/local/, chances
are you've installed it. Some others on the Snort Users list may have a more
elegant way of checking for proper daq installation - I'd welcome any
comments.

For some more reading on daq, I'd recommend
http://vrt-blog.snort.org/2010/08/snort-29-essentials-daq.html.

If you think daq is correctly installed, you can troubleshoot further by
looking on your system to see if the file is there. Here's my results:

[root@Snortbox ~]# find / -name libsfbpf.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libsfbpf.so.0
/usr/local/daq-0.5/sfbpf/.libs/libsfbpf.so.0
find: `/home/nmoore/.gvfs': Permission denied
[root@Snortbox ~]#

If the file is found, note the location. If it's not in /usr/local/lib or
/usr/local/daq-0.5/sfbpf/.libs, then the snort compile process isn't going
to find it. Go back to the VRT page listed above for instructions on telling
Snort how to find your daq installation.

Last, I'd recommend
http://www.snort.org/assets/159/Snort_2.9.05_FC14.pdf(shameless plug)
and make sure you've loaded all the libraries in the steps
before compiling snort.

Happy Snorting!

Nick