Snort mailing list archives

Re: performance criteria

From: Jamie Riden <jamie.riden () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 21:11:41 +0100

Hi Jules,

For me - and I've been mucking with IDS on and off for a little over
ten years now, but very much on a budget -

1. what can you afford?
2. can you load a useful rule set and not be dropping packets?
3. can you tune it properly?

This is very much down to personal taste, how much time you have to
play with it daily, and the normal traffic of particular installation
you're looking at, so I suggest evaluating a couple of units before
you commit to purchasing.

I've seen McAfee Intrushield (or whatever it's called this month),
snort and a quick look at some Juniper box. McAfee was awkward to
drive, compared with being able to pipe the snort output into perl or
bash scripts. If you don't write perl/bash scripts, you won't get any
benefit from this though.

cheers,
 Jamie