Snort mailing list archives

Re: NSS Labs : CheckPoint 97.3% recommended profile hoax ?

From: Seth Hall <seth () remor com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 10:34:20 -0400

Hi Martin!

On May 10, 2011, at 9:47 AM, Martin Holste wrote:

So my question to you is this: what is NSS doing in its testing
batteries to evaluate how well products are finding malware check-ins
and/or data exfiltration versus exploitation?

Thanks for asking this question.  I was just about to ask a very similar question.  For teams practicing large scale
intrusion detection, the commonality seems to be that they don't care about exploits and want to find all of the
existing compromises because they're always out there, they just haven't found them yet, right? :)

I think the problem here may be that NSSLabs only tests "intrusion prevention" products where the focus seems so
heavily oriented toward catching the exploits whereas intrusion detection systems get to be a little freer to just
detect weirdness in addition to trying to detect the exploits.  Testing products that catch compromised hosts is
probably insanely difficult though.  I can think of a rather large number of intrusions that I've caught that were only
caught by creatively watching the network and I'm sure I'm not the only one on this list that can think of compromises
they've caught similarly.

Anyway Rick +1 for Martin's question.  I'd love to hear as well. :)

  .Seth