Snort mailing list archives

Re: PullePork SO Rules Management?

From: Eoin Miller <eoin.miller () trojanedbinaries com>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 19:40:14 +0000

On 5/4/2011 5:30 PM, JJC wrote:
Part of your problem is your OS definition, it should be Centos-5-4 and not CentOS-5-4, that may be causing all of it, please let me know what the results are after modifying that.

Note the path in the rules tarball: /so_rules/precompiled/Centos-5-4/x86-64/2.9.0.4/ <http://2.9.0.4/>

When you have to hit ENTER to finish the sid-msg.map, does the sid-msg.map still generate?

JJC

Figures it would be something that stupid, just so used to typing CentOS case specifically instead of noticing the directory structure inside the tarball. Thanks for pointing that out.

Did notice that the *.so files got moved correctly this time around, but end up with the same uid/gid that owns them inside of the tarball that doesn't exist on most systems (1210:1210). Looks like this happens when you run pulledpork.pl as root. I wish the VRT's files within the tarball were just set to root.root so as to not end up with unowned/incorrectly owned files on the systems upon extraction by default without adding --no-same-permissions or something similar to the tar command.

Looks like Archive::Tar supports the --no-same-permissions style stuff so I added this inside of sub rule_extract:

From:
---SNIP---
   my $tar = Archive::Tar->new();
   $tar->read( $temp_path . $rule_file );
---SNIP---

To:
---SNIP---
   local $Archive::Tar::CHOWN = 0;
   my $tar = Archive::Tar->new();
   $tar->read( $temp_path . $rule_file );
---SNIP---

This appears to stop the incorrectly owned files if you run pulledpork.pl as root.

-- Eoin