Snort mailing list archives

Re: how to acquire best setting of snort rules?

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 09:34:15 -0400

On Apr 16, 2011, at 9:34 AM, "M.Turner Turner" <msbzag () gmail com> wrote:

how to acquire best setting of snort rules?

can i change the action of all rules to reject, to achive the best security?

You can, I don't think I'd recommend that. You'd reject legitimate traffic as well as harmful.  I'd also recommend
"drop" instead of reject.

can i enable all rules , to achive the best security?

You can, but performance on the sensor would be hurt, and you'd have to deal with a very large alert rate.

You should try a Snort install and give it a shot.