Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort VM monitoring other VMs (virtual environment)

From: Jason Wallace <jason.r.wallace () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:08:41 -0400

Is this a VMWare environment?

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 3:00 PM, turki <turki_00 () yahoo com> wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Snort in general and I have the following question,

I am running Snort 2.9 on a virtual machine with 1 NIC (eth0) and I manage
to detect and log alerts generated from it. (I will call it Snort-VM)

My question, if I run another virtual machine (I will call it App-VM)within
the same network of the Snort-VM (same subnet mask). Will I be able to
configure Snort-VM to pick up traffic generated from App-VM?

So in general,

Is it even possible to let Snort log traffic for other virtual machines?

Thank you,