Snort mailing list archives

Re: Pattern Matcher Performance (config detection)

From: Mike Lococo <mikelococo () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 16:55:31 -0500

On 02/24/2011 04:30 PM, Martin Holste wrote:
Got it, that all agrees with my experiences as well.  So, now I'm
interested in your report that you got a 30% CPU savings with ac-nq.
What is your exact config statement?

config detection: search-method ac-nq search-optimize max-pattern-len 20

The only thing that changed between these runs is the search-method.  It
was also running on a live-link which may display minor traffic
variation, and measurements were just done by visually averaging htop
bars over a few minutes.  This wasn't a rigorous benchmark at all.

That said, I reproduced it several times and the difference was fairly
striking.  Again, perfprofiling reports that >80% of the CPU time for
snort is spent in the MPSE due to my very large ruleset, so I may be a
fairly extreme case.

Cheers,
Mike Lococo