Snort mailing list archives

Re: oinkmaster vs pulled port, round two:

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:33:49 -0500

Not a bad idea.  Can you submit that as a feature request on the pulledpork site?

Joel

On Feb 10, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Michael Scheidell wrote:

I think round one was a draw.
some people want the rules in their original files, some would like them in easier managed 'single file'

I can see with PP, how being able to disable a RULE in, say snort_lan.conf vs disabling a whole rule set would have
its advantages.
I can see how you might want to manage your main distribution point with oinkmaster.

round 2: licensing, copyrights:
our situation:
we pull down VRT rules (licensed), run oinkmaster on them to set up 'our tweaks' to the rules, then create a tarball
(./rules/*.rules)
each individual snort sensor BOX runs a local copy of oinkmaster, to pull down our tarball and add local
oinkmaster.conf tweaks to it.

I assume that even if I go with PP on the individual sensors (which seems to give me more flexibility, see round 1),
that I still would need oinkmaster for the first step.

Also, how would PP preserve the copyright and license agreements that are in each rule file?
I believe that, even though we are licensed to redistribute VRT rules (and pay for each sensor...), we are required
to leave the license and copyright notices there.

this would apply to VRT rules, GPL(2,3,) lesser, apache, anything, right?

this still makes PP vs oinkmaster, round two a draw.  PP can't preserve the copyright/license, oinkmaster can. so, on
main distribution point, we still would need oinkmaster.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000
| SECNAP Network Security Corporation
Certified SNORT Integrator
2008-9 Hot Company Award Winner, World Executive Alliance
Five-Star Partner Program 2009, VARBusiness
Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap®.

--
Joel Esler
jesler () sourcefire.com