Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Deployment Configurations

From: Bamm Visscher <bamm.visscher () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 12:01:40 -0500

I most definitely deploy multiple sensors in various locations running
different rulesets (and potentially gathering different data types). I
expect most successful NSM deployments do the same. When deploying
sensors, the best advice I can give is put as much  (more?) focus on
the perceived threat as you do on your infrastructure. Don't fall into
the infrastructure security stigma (i.e "IDS goes w/the FW". "IDS
monitoring to meet compliance requirements of critical assets", etc).
Instead, first look at the threats you face and how those actors may
exploit weaknesses within your infrastructure to gain access to the
data they desire. Then determine which locations on your network best
leverage your ability to detect and respond to incidents from these
actors.

Most of the time, this process will lead to the deployment of many
(smaller) sensors versus one sensor to rule them all. I expect dollars
and perceived simplicity drive the "one sensor" mentality, but in my
experience, it's at the cost of reduced ability to detect and respond
to security incidents.

Bamm

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Michael Lubinski