Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort does not sent reset in freebsd/ipfw inline mode

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 09:30:31 -0500

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Michael Scheidell <
michael.scheidell () secnap com> wrote:

 On 1/19/11 1:00 PM, Rajkumar S wrote:

Hello,

I am testing snort 2.9.0.3 with inline  under FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p12
and IPFW. Every thing seems working except that no packet gets dropped
or reset is being sent.

 I have a (test ports) version of 2.9.0.3  and am trying to make sure
ipfw/daq works.
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/154514><http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/154514>

I have never gotten this to work in the past, and am still confused.

 I am using snort Version 2.9.0.3 (Build 98) FreeBSD which is compiled
with following options:
./configure  --enable-flexresp3 --enable-react  --enable-active-response

did you find you needed the -Q in the command line?
(man page seems to say this is for iptables only)

Oops - the man page is out of date wrt -Q and possibly elsewhere.  Refer to
READMEs and snort_manual for now.

As for -Q and policy_mode, the best reference is section 1.9.5 of the manual
which breaks it out in table form.

I've bugged the man page.  Thanks for reporting the issue.

did you find you needed this in snort.conf?
config policy_mode:inline

what sysctl's did you need to add to turn on ipfw filtering?

(sysctl -a | egrep 'fw|bridge')

this in a router mode? with an ip on each interface? or bridged? (with
if_bridge?)?
what ifconfig options did you use to create the bridge?

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000

   - Certified SNORT Integrator
   - 2008-9 Hot Company Award Winner, World Executive Alliance
   - Five-Star Partner Program 2009, VARBusiness
   - Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
   - King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap®.