Snort mailing list archives

Re: Trigger events

From: Nick Moore <nmoore () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 09:36:22 -0600

Dwane,

It depends:

1. If you are inline between your switch and another network device, you
will see all the traffic between those two devices.

2. If you are passively monitoring a port on the switch, make sure you have
configured a SPAN correctly. Here is a link for some Cisco switches:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015c612.shtml.
If your switch is not in the list here, Google is your friend.

3. To generate events, there's a lot of methods that work. The easiest is to
write a custom rule for a specific workstation using normal traffic, like
surfing a web page. For more interesting events, connect your Snort
interface directly to the Internet. You should see some random attacks
pretty quickly. You could try Metasploit and other attack generators, but
these usually entail having a couple of machines up at the same time and can
be a little more complicated. Be aware that attack simulators that do not
include a complete established session between two workstations may not
trigger a Snort rule if it has flow established in it. Last, nmap will not
usually generate a lot of interesting events outside of the portscan
preprocessor.

Hope this helps.

Nick