Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort 2.9.0.3 flexresp3 and active-response

From: Russ Combs <rcombs () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:52:10 -0500

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Michael Scheidell <
michael.scheidell () secnap com> wrote:

 I noticed that starting with snort 2.9.* there are seemly two configure
flags that affect flexresp.

a) --enable-flexresp3 (similar to 2.8.6.1 flexrep and flexrep2)

but there is a new one:

b) --enable-active-response

Q for ports/rpm maintainers:

if user enabled flexresp3 during compile time, should we also enable
active-response?

is there any reason to enable one without the other?
it appears to me that you would want both or none.

That makes sense to me.  And neither will generate responses without
additional configuration so no harm done.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
o: 561-999-5000

   - Certified SNORT Integrator
   - 2008-9 Hot Company Award Winner, World Executive Alliance
   - Five-Star Partner Program 2009, VARBusiness
   - Best in Email Security,2010: Network Products Guide
   - King of Spam Filters, SC Magazine 2008

This email has been scanned and certified safe by SpammerTrap®.