Snort mailing list archives

Re: sid-msg.map incomplete again

From: "Champ Clark III [Softwink]" <champ () softwink com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:39:03 -0500

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 03:28:38PM -0500, Nigel Houghton wrote:
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 14:30:44 -0500, Lawrence R. Hughes, Sr. wrote:
Nigel,

That's great if you use pulledpork, we do not.
PulledPork was not a requirement for snort to work correctly.

Just for everyone's clarification here, Snort does not need the
sid-msg.map, you only need that for your event data in your database if
you use BASE or similar. Barnyard uses it.

We suggest that folks use PulledPork to manage their rules and their
sid-msg.map etc... and that you output to a unified file from Snort and
use Barnyard to process that file to put the event data into a database
or whatever.

If you don't want to use PulledPork, it is pretty easy to write a
script (in whatever language you like) that processes the rules files
to produce a sid-msg.map.

        Oinkmaster has a perl routine called "create-sidmap.pl" I
believe.

--
        Champ Clark III | Softwink, Inc | 800-538-9357 x 101
                     http://www.softwink.com

GPG Key ID: 58A2A58F
Key fingerprint = 7734 2A1C 007D 581E BDF7  6AD5 0F1F 655F 58A2 A58F
If it wasn't for C, we'd be using BASI, PASAL and OBOL.