Snort mailing list archives

Snort Reporting and logs

From: "Atkins, Dwane P" <ATKINSD () uthscsa edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:56:36 -0600

Snort 2.9.0.3 has been installed on a PowerEdge 2850.  I have a pretty decent hard drive on it and more if I need to do
LVM.  However, when I try to use the http://snortbox/snortreport-1.3.1/alerts.php, it will not view.  So I look to see
if I am actually logging packets and I go to /var/log/snort and I see the barnyard2.waldo has not been updated in
almost 17 hours and that snort.u2.12$$$$$$  has not been up dates sfor 17 hours either.  This is the busiest Vlan on
campus and I am sure will always be updated.

My questions are,

1.)     How do I ensure that the logging continues?  What does it stop like that? And---

2.)    Is there a reporting tool that is more reliable for me than SnortReports and if so, what do you all recommedn
and is tehre install instructions for both installation and extrapulating the proper traffic from the Snort Sensors.?

Thanks

Dwane