Snort mailing list archives

Re: Homebrew Snort Reactive/Unified2 output

From: beenph <beenph () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 00:07:23 -0400

What about writing a custom output pluggin ...rather than writing
something that will parse unified2?

-elz

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Korodev <korodev () gmail com> wrote:
Why is speed a factor?  Are you trying to issue RST packets or issue
firewall blocks/ACL rules?  If you want to kill an active connection,
I don't think anything reading Snort's output will be reliably fast
enough unless the connection is a rather large file download.  If
you're not trying to kill the connection, then a few milliseconds
difference between having a script do the reading and having something
more built-in do the reading won't matter, and you should go with the
ease-of-use of the script.

Thanks for the link Martin. Speed is a factor because I would like to
be able to issue a firewall rule that could be a pipe divert, delay
queue, block, or something similar. With my current piping/delay
setup, I can afford ~15ms of time.

\\korodev