Snort mailing list archives

Re: What makes a complete IDS package?

From: Martin Holste <mcholste () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:28:01 -0500

You're already set with PulledPork for rule management.  Don't forget
to do your tuning through disable_sids.conf.  I have Snort/Suricata
log to syslog and deal with alerts from my custom SIEM, but if I
didn't, I'd be using something like Snorby for my web front-end.  I
then use StreamDB (code.google.com/p/streamdb/) to handle
investigating alerts as it will immediately spit out the URL and fully
decoded page content from the alert connection you give it, and it
will integrate with Snorby in place of OpenFPC.  This saves a lot of
time over SGUIL or daemonlogger on a busy connection.  However, I'd
still recommend that you run daemonlogger or SANCP alongside in that
rare case you want to inspect low-level packet data.