Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] GPL rules - who maintains them? Nobody?

From: Matthew Jonkman <jonkman () emergingthreatspro com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 10:01:36 -0400

On Mar 18, 2011, at 9:14 PM, Joel Esler wrote:
It was decided to not change the SIDs to avoid performance degradation, lack of
continuity in the GPL rules, etc.  So, if the VRT team makes changes to the GPL
rules we'd (ET [1]) appreciate the updates.  Conversely, if we (ET [1]) make
changes we'd like to submit these to VRT as well, and come to an agreement for
the sake of uniformity.

I have an idea for that, but I am not going to volunteer it publically until I discuss it with Sourcefire internally
to make sure we can do it.  If ET would like to submit changes, I encourage them to do so.  The OSSRC was formed to
deal exactly with this issue, however, it seems as if not only the OSSRC has fallen off, but the communities that
formed it have come up with different goals.

For example, detection was supposed to be unique.  However, now, there are rules that cover the same "things" in both
rulesets.  OSSRC was there to manage duplication of this kind of thing and the transition of rules from the ET
ruleset over to VRT.  It's obvious to me that isn't going to happen anymore.  Ref: ETPRO.

The ET ruleset is not intended to be an add-on for VRT anymore. It can be used that way, but we are not going to NOT
cover an issue we have intel in on the community because VRT might put something out a week later. Sorry, that
arrangement was over years ago. Please understand, ET Open and ET Pro are independent rulesets. We are not here to feed
rules into the VRT ruleset, although you are perfectly free by license to take them as you like. But we are publishing
them in more formats and versions, so if anything is to be a master repository it should be the one with the super-set
of versions and formats.

VRT is welcome to pull the 1 or 2 engine versions they'd like out of ours and use them commercially. They're BSD
licensed on purpose. That would actually eliminate more duplication if VRT were to pull the rules that they like and
then people wouldn't have to combine the open set with VRT. And that'd be perfectly file, these are BSD licensed and
put out there for people to use commercially if they like. Hundreds of companies and projects repackage these rules and
we love it!

So why don't we go down that road? Instead of trying to avoid duplication when people combine, why not make VRT a
complete ruleset on it's own? Then no more combination issues and duplication.

Matt

[1] I should say I am a ET community participant only and have no profit to
derive from my participation.  I'm actually speaking presumptuously for ET, but
I think there's a desire in cooperation between both organizations.  Just
bringing you up to speed.

The Snort community is a big world.  Getting a lot bigger recently (I've seen registration and traffic increase).
Input from all forms is good.

--
Joel Esler
jesler () sourcefire.com