Snort mailing list archives

snort rule tuning and weeding out false positives

From: "Youngquist, Jason R." <jryoungquist () ccis edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 12:30:19 +0000

Hi.

I'm new to Snort and am trying to weed out false positives and ignore events that are purely informational.  I was
wondering if anyone could recommend any good howtos/docs/methodology on how to go about Snort rule tuning.

For example, I have this rule, sid 17441, which is "CHAT MSN Messenger and Windows Live Messenger Code Execution
attempt" and have gotten it several times from multiple student machines.  It appears that this was an issue back in
2007 with Microsoft MSN Messenger 6.2, 7.0, and 7.5.  Right now,  Windows Live Messenger 2011 seems to be the current
version.  So assuming that this is a false positive and I can ignore this rule.  Thoughts?

Thanks.
Jason Youngquist
Information Technology Security Engineer
Technology Services
Columbia College
1001 Rogers Street, Columbia, MO  65216
(573) 875-7334
jryoungquist () ccis edu<mailto:jryoungquist () ccis edu>
http://www.ccis.edu<http://www.ccis.edu/>