Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9.0.3 Now Available

From: Ryan Jordan <ryan.jordan () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 14:43:05 -0500

Here's a few pieces of info that could help:

- The RPMs we ship on snort.org are not compiled with IPv6 support. It
might be time to re-visit the default options in the RPM. There's a
lot of useful stuff that's not compiled by default.

- When IPv6 support is enabled, "var" maps to "ipvar" for backwards
compatability. Enabling IPv6 will not break old confs.

- The documentation (both Snort Manual and README.variables) notes
that "ipvar" only works with IPv6 support enabled, and that you should
replace it with a normal "var" in non-IPv6 installations.

- The conf shipped with Snort uses "var" to maintain compatibility
with both flavors of Snort.

There was a question about why the IPv4 version of the conf parser
doesn't recognize "ipvar". The "ipvar" keyword was added with the rest
of the IPv6 code, and parses IPv6 addresses while "var" does not. This
stuff is only defined when Snort is compiled with "--enable-ipv6".

I agree that the optional nature of IPv6 support creates some
usability issues. That sounds like something we can address in the
future.

-Ryan