Snort mailing list archives

Distributed Snort possibility?

From: turki <turki_00 () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 07:44:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi

I am new to Snort and I have these totally newbies questions:

1- Can Snort monitors remote network traffic. meaning Snort is installed in
 a local network and it needs to monitor/capture packets from remote
network. is this possible? (I am not sure where should Snort sensor be
installed in this case in the local network or in the remote network?)

2- If I have 2 separate machines in the same network, each run its own Snort. can they (both) log alerts into the same
MySql db? (shared db for multiple Snort instances?)

3- same scenario as question 2 (above), can the two Snort machines share the same rules between them?

Thank you,