Snort mailing list archives

Re: Rate limiting alerts

From: Joel Esler <jesler () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:54:01 -0500

If you do a threshold using preprocessor gen_id 135, sig_id 1.  You could
deal with SYN packets from an individual host.

So, you'd have to recompile Snort with the
--enable-decoder-preprocessor-rules configure tag..
Then you'd have to include your preprocessor.rules file (should be in the
preproc_rules directory of the Snort tarball). Make sure you have the gen_id
135 rules enabled.

Then you'd have to create your threshold based off of track by_src.

Look into
README.decoder_preproc_rules
README.thresholding
and
README.filters in your doc/ directory of the Snort tarball.

Joel