Snort mailing list archives

Re: Updating sid-msg.map

From: waldo kitty <wkitty42 () windstream net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:21:45 -0500

On 11/15/2010 22:35, Chan, Wilson wrote:
First off what is the sid-msg.map used for? I looked in my oinkmaster config
docs and they recommend to update the sourcefire and emerging threats rule via
the create-sidmap.pl script.

FWIW: in my environment, our snort logs do not display the GID:SID so there was
only the MSG text to go by... when i developed one of the mods for my
environment, i added a search capability to locate the MSG text in the
sid-msg.map file which then showed us the GID:SID which is needed for other
functions...

[aside] i'm trying to figure out a way to generate the sid-msg.map file from
multiple rules directories so that the GID 3 rules are included in the
sid-msg.map but time has been very short with a new paying gig that i've
found... 12 hour days of driving do not leave much for network security related
work :? :(