Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Emerging-Sigs] [Snort-devel] Snort 2.9.0.1 Now Available

From: L0rd Ch0de1m0rt <l0rdch0de1m0rt () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 12:44:17 -0500

Hello.  Good points Mike.  One thing I want to make clear is that I
consider a bug that affects packet reassembly dependent detection as a
non-trivial security bug since it can lead to easier IDS/IPS evasion.
Specifically, this is the HTTP pre-processor issue I and others have
brought up and apparently affects 2.9.0.0, 2.8.6.1, and probably more
(I don't think I had the same problems with 2.8.5, though).  However,
SourceFire has chosen not to fix this bug in recent versions of snort
other than the latest minor release -- 2.9.0.1.  Be aware.

-L0rd C.