Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.9, barnyard2, and unknown record types

From: firnsy <firnsy () securixlive com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2010 18:08:07 +1030

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 14:10 -0500, Rich Graves wrote:
I can't keep barnyard2 running on unified2 files generated by snort 2.9.0.1 (64-bit RHEL5). A couple times a day, it
chokes on a bad record. This never happened with 2.8.6.

I got things to "work" for a while by hacking barnyard2-1.9-beta1 to ignore (return 0) record type 110, but now I'm
seeing record type 4, which doesn't even appear in sfutil/Unified2_common.h.

What should I be looking at to figure this out?

I've reverted production to 2.8.6. Still have a test running 2.9.

barnyard2[10254]: Opened spool file '/var/log/snort/snort-unified2.log.1288720898'
barnyard2[10254]: WARNING: Unhandled UNIFIED2_EXTRA_DATA record type 110
barnyard2[10254]: FATAL ERROR: Unknown record type read: 4

I've only just sat down and started playing with snort 2.9.x so I should
have some updates coming down the line soon.

BTW the project source is finally being hosted publicly over at github.

www.github.com/firnsy/barnyard2

Regards,

--
firnsy